So who thought Tennis was boring? Come on confess!! 🙂
Madrid, one of the big warm-up tournaments before the French Open is in full swing and its red (thankfully not blue this year) clay has been claiming its victims. Grigor Dimitrov finally showed the level of play that he has been promising for the last few years and emerged covered in red dust as the victor in a fantastic battle with Djokovic, only to be brought down by Warwinka. The Swiss player has been playing his best tennis this year and will be challenging Tsonga next. Murray has scraped through most of his matches, seeming not quite at home on clay yet. Considering he trained for several years in Spain, it’s surprising that it’s his worst surface, but we will see. Maybe he will hit top form at the French Open or indeed this week where he will meet Berdych in the next round. Tommy Haas showed some brilliant tennis before finally being beaten by Ferrer, who doesn’t seem to be fully recovered from his trouncing by Nadal earlier in the year. So, who else has fallen? Federer was taken out by Nishikori, another upcoming player who has claimed several top scalps in the last year. Nadal is still going strong.
In the womens draw, Sharapova and Williams are through to the quarters. Robson, after brilliantly beating Radwanska, succumbed to Ivanovic. Errani, Kerber and Kanepi are all through, but one big name is missing. After her meltdown, Azarenka lost to Makarova.
Looking forward to today’s Tennis matches? I am.
The Cyprus ATL Tournaments may not be quite as exciting, but they are still fun to play in and watch. Paphos Tennis is growing. Who knows, one day we may see a top ATP event in Cyprus! I can’t wait!
- Roger Federer’s Disappointing Loss at Madrid Open Spells Trouble for French Open (bleacherreport.com)
- Federer stunned by Nishikori in Madrid (cnn.com)
- Azarenka loses cool at Madrid Open, Nadal rolls on (charlotteobserver.com)
- Madrid Open 2013: Recent Results from Tennis’ Top Stars (bleacherreport.com)
- Novak Djokovic: Madrid’s Altitude Helps The Big Servers And Aggressive Players (tennis-x.com)
- Djokovic suffers shock Dimitrov loss (bbc.co.uk)